Saturday 15 December 2012

Makeup Tutorial: Silver and Green

In what seems to be quickly becoming my 'metallic series' (see my Blue and Gold tutorial here) I thought I'd try another colour/metallic combo; this time green and silver. I wanted to create a completely different type of look for each combination and not just stick to one of the colours all over the lid and another in the crease, which I'm in danger of doing. This look is really striking and looks almost '80s inspired. You may not want to necessarily wear it to work, but with the festive season well and truly here, this look might go down well at a Christmas party.


Usually, I'd tell you to use a primer first, but in this case I'm not. I'm going to use eye pencil as the main product on the lid and I find that if you prime your eyes, it doesn't go on as smoothly. Instead, if you're prone to or worry about your makeup fading or creasing, I'd spray a makeup setting spray over the top afterwards.
My first step (other than filling in my eyebrows) was to take a shimmery, sparkly green (Junkie - Urban Decay) on a fluffy blending brush and blend above the crease all the way to the nose and out past the outer corner by about a centimetre. I also took it underneath the eye, leaving a small gap, to meet the upper line you've already made. It doesn't have to be too neat at this point, this is what the eyeliner is for.


Quickly add some shimmery, white shadow to the brow bone and blend downwards to soften the edges of the green.


Use a silver eye pencil (Rimmel's Scandaleyes in 010 Silver is perfect for this) to fill in the eyelid and underneath the eye, meeting at two points at either corner. Don't be afraid to keep going over it to make the colour stronger. Personally, I kept coming back to it and going over it again throughout the process, as I wanted the colour to be as strong as possible.


To make the silver more defined, use a green eye pencil (similar in shade to the shadow, but slightly darker) to line the silver and then use your blending brush to buff the line out a bit so it's not quite as strong.


Use a black eye pencil on the water lines.


Then use an black eyeliner of your choice to line the top lashes, winging it out at the outer corner and bring it in to a point at the inner corner. I used Rimmel's Waterproof Gel Eyeliner.


Apply black mascara to top and bottom eyelashes.


In hindsight, I might have brought my eyebrow down at the outer corner just a few millimetres, but overall I'm still really happy with this look. The ultimate lesson with this look, is don't hesitate to go back and retrace your steps; often going back and going over what you've already done really makes a difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment