Friday 1 February 2013

STATEMENT JEWELLERY: BRACELETS

A while ago, I told you lovely lot about my love of jewellery and how I was planning on writing a three part series on statement pieces. I've already written a piece on statement rings so here's my second installment: statement bracelets.


I'm not usually a huge fan of bracelets; I'm convinced my small hands force them to make my wrists look fat (or maybe my wrists just are fat!), so tight ones are a no-no. I do, however, like the look of big, chunky, baggy bracelets. 

I've always been into charm bracelets, for some reason. In school I had a silver one with tiny silver keys on it, which I never took off. Over the years, the keys fell off one by one and eventually I had to take it off and throw it out.

Charm Bracelets



I actually bought these at a couple of boutiques in North Wales in the U.K. so I can't give you any reference in terms of where to find these exact bracelets. However, Amazon has load of pretty, chunky charm bracelets for under a tenner, so pop on over there to check them out if you're interested. 

Charm bracelets are pretty versatile when it comes to what you where them with. I wouldn't, however, wear them with baggy clothing or more than one at once; I'd recommend wearing one over the top of a tight, long-sleeved top or dress, since they're quite lose and therefore easy to slip on and off.

Spikes


A lot of people are a bit scared of spikes since they're so harsh-looking. This bracelet from New Look (£7.99) has little coral beads embedded between the spikes, which makes it a bit less severe but still very cool. As you know, I'm a big fan of contrasting elements, for example, I think this looks amazing with either a soft flowing fabric, or tight top in pastel tones. Of course, it'd look awesome with a tight, black top but I'm trying to lean away from that.

Crosses



I'm a bit (okay, very) obsessed with crosses at the moment. These are two different ways you can wear them; one is subtle, one not so much.

The top one is clearly a lot smaller than most of the other bracelets I've shown you. As I've said before, if you want to start wearing statement jewellery but are a bit shy, perhaps start small. It costs around £7 from Matalan, which I think is a bit overpriced for what it is, so always check the quality of what you're buying before you get it (if you're buying online, check the previous reviews).

The second cross, chain cuff cost a bit more (£12 from ASOS) but is so gorgeous it's definitely worth it. I only bought it recently and it hangs really beautifully on the wrist. This would go well with a short-sleeved garment, since it hangs so low and takes up to much space on the wrist. I wouldn't advise wearing it with prints though, same with other 'busy' jewellery, as it can look a bit messy.

Flowers



Another thing I'm a sucker for is chrome, so this silver, floral bracelet (£7, Matalan) is so perfect. I have quite a few pieces of jewellery with flowers on, for some reason, since I wouldn't really consider myself a 'flower' person. They are, however, awesome to wear in spring/summer, even if that sounds a bit stereotypical. 

I can't, for the life of me, remember when or how I obtained the second black rose bracelet. I can, however, tell you that I hate it when I look at it on its own like that; I hardly ever wear it. However, when I try it on, I suddenly fall in love with it. It looks as if it should be tight and stretched but instead it's loose and comfortable and incredibly pretty. There are plenty of reasonably-priced, black rose bracelets (and other jewellery) on the internet, so if you're really into it just type it into Google and you can't go wrong.

Happy hunting!



No comments:

Post a Comment