Thursday 6 December 2012

Makeup Tutorial: Black and Gold

As I've mentioned roughly 1000 times recently: I'm in love with gold. And as you can probably tell, I'm also infatuated with anything black, dark, gothic or macabre. So, with Christmas round the corner and anything vaguely sparkly being just about everywhere at the moment, I thought I'd jump on the bandwagon and do my 'black and gold' look. 
On a side note: please ignore my fuzzy, sleepy hair.


Right. After you've primed your eyelids (which you should be pretty good at by now) add a gold shadow to the lid. I used Urban Decay's Half Baked, which is beautiful; I can't believe I've barely used this in the past. Anyway, also add it below the eye, because that's how we role.

Add a yellowish highlighter such as Foxy (Urban Decay) to the inner corner of your eyes and to your brow bone. Then add a golden-brown to the outer corner of the lid, top and bottom. I used YDK because, you know, it's amazing.
Use a black shadow (Blackout is good, my Naked 2 Palette is getting some serious use today) on a fluffy blending brush and gently blend it into the outer corner and crease of your eye. Build it up as much or as little as you like and add a little to the outer corner of your bottom lid.
Apply black eye pencil to your water lines.
Apply a gold, glittery (or metallic) eyeliner onto your top lash line. I used Barry M's Glitter Liquid Eyeliner, which wasn't too good. The glitter comes off in your eyes really easily, which obviously isn't too nice.
I then used black eye pencil on top of the glitter and smudged it slightly with my finger.
Apply black mascara and fill in your eyebrows. I used the darker colour (as usual) from Urban Decay's Brow Box.
On the cheeks, I used a plum colour. The picture above looks more peach but I can assure you, in person it was plum! I don't tend to use bronzer in winter, which is why I use dark, more mature blush.
I also used plenty of highlighter, since I was using light reflecting golds on my eyes and lips, I felt it only right to attract light to the top of my cheekbones as well, to balance it out.
As ever, here's my 'just for fun' bit that you can either take or leave. I lined my lips in black eyeliner pencil, smudged it in slightly, and added gold/champagne coloured lip gloss in the middle, blending outwards with the black.



I really love this look and would honestly wear this out. I think black and gold lips are particularly striking.
I've been thinking about making tutorial videos, instead of these long winded blog posts, and keeping my blog for reviews and such. If anyone actually reads this, leave a comment if you think this'd be a good idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment