Monday 5 November 2012

Urban Decay Eyeshadows: S&M, Cobra, Last Call, Rockstar and Zephyr (£14/1.5g)


As a die-hard Urban Decay fangirl, it only seemed appropriate that this blog started off with a review on a few of their eyeshadows. I recently purchased five of their 1.5g pots in S & M, Cobra, Last Call, Rockstar and Zephyr and was as impressed as ever with what I received.



Firstly, I particularly like Urban Decay’s packaging, especially for this product. It’s attractive and edgy but also very robust and solid, giving the impression that if you were to stand on or drop them, you wouldn’t have to scoop smashed, powdery lumps onto your eyeshadow brush next time you wanted to use it, but they’re compact enough to easily fit into a handbag or purse. The powder itself has a gorgeous, soft texture, which make them a dream to blend but of course, this is quality you have to pay for and just one of these 1.5g pots will set you back up to £14.

A big tip when buying Urban Decay eyeshadows online is: don’t rely on the provided image of the colour you’re buying to decide which one to purchase. A quick search on Google images will bring up dozens of lovely people who have made swatches and these will give you a far more realistic view of the colour you’re getting. Colours such as Cobra, which can look kind of dull on the artificial online picture, look amazing when seen on skin. They’re not cheap, so make sure you know what you’re buying before you get it.

S&M
S&M is shimmery grey, silver in some lights and gunmetal when blended. It’s this multi-tonal pigment, which draws me to Urban Decay again and again. It means that you can mix or team it with other colours to create different affects. This particular shadow does lose pigment slightly if blended too much but this almost begs for it to be used with other shadows, such as in your crease when wearing a dark, monochrome, smoky eye.

Cobra
Cobra is a completely unique colour and probably the most surprising out of the five, as I wasn’t sure I liked it when I purchased it. It looks brown, almost grey at first glance but upon closer inspection is a dark greenish-brown with distinct gold shimmer. When I first swatched this, I felt as if I hadn’t seen anything like it and it’s that childish glee that I always get when trying out a new Urban Decay colour. It would look gorgeous blended up from lash line for an edgy twist on an autumnal look.

Last Call 
Last call is a passionate pink with attitude; shimmery with purple tones, it’s my favourite of all the five shadows. Pink’s not usually a colour I wear, especially on my eyes, but this month I’ve been wearing it almost every time I’ve gone out. The colour and way it reflects the light looks striking on any eye colour, making your irises pop. This particular shadow blends beautifully and I’ve personally been blending it into my crease to spice up a smoky eye.

Rockstar
Rockstar is a dark, shimmery, velvety, purple; a colour I often adore. However, this was my least favourite of the five shadows. It looks stunning in the pot, so upon first inspection I was excited to try it out, especially since purple looks amazing on brown eyes, but when blend, it seems to turn into a dirty brown-looking purple. It’s still very pretty, but just not up to the standard of the other shadows. However, it could work with well mixed with brown eyeshadow to add a feminine element to an autumnal, earthy look.

Zephyr
I’ve been hunting for the perfect, pigmented, shimmery white to wear as a highlighter for a while and I seem to have found it with Zephyr. ‘A shimmery highlighter?’ you say, ‘but they’re everywhere!’ Well yes, you’re right. Shimmery highlighters are ten a penny these days, but until Zephyr, my incredibly pale skin merely cancelled them out, taking the ‘high’ out of highlighter. Zephyr is not only light enough to do its job, but is pigmented enough to show up. Use it in the inner corners of your eye to really make your eyes look bigger and more alert, as sometimes heavy eye makeup has a habit of making eyes look swamped.




No comments:

Post a Comment