Monday 5 November 2012

Illamasqua Sheer Lipgloss: Provoke, tantrum, soul (£14/7ml)



Illamasqua is right up there with Urban Decay in my eyes in terms of amazing quality, pigmented products. You definitely get what you pay for where they’re concerned and I usually find this, but – stop the press – I’ve found an Illamasqua product I don’t quite like. I almost didn't want to write this review because the amount of love I have for this brand is huge, but I have to be honest, these lipglosses just don’t do it for me.

Provoke
Provoke looks like a beige-brown in the tube but obviously, being sheer, comes out as a much lighter neutral colour with a very slight gold shimmer. The problem is, I can only tell I’m wearing it if I hold a mirror right up to my lips and face the light. I understand the concept of sheer and that it won’t be that pigmented, but why give it a pigment at all if it’s just going to apply as a slightly-shimmery-clear gloss? This isn’t my main issue though, the formula itself is thick and very sticky. I personally really dislike the feeling of heavy, sticky lipglosses. It makes me really conscious of my lips and almost makes me want to not move my mouth. It also tastes quite strongly (just that normal lipglossy taste), which would discourage me from wearing it anywhere where I’d be eating or drinking (pretty much anywhere).

Soul
Soul is a light, peachy colour with a beautiful marble affect in the tube and looks just as pretty when applied. The colour is shimmery, pretty and youthful and, despite the consistency, I could definitely make peace with this gloss as it’s just adorable.

Tantrum
Tantrum looks a little scary in the tube. It’s a deep pink-purple with that same marble effect that holds so much intrigue for me. This one I really didn’t like. It went on unevenly and although it eventually evened out a bit, I just felt as if I looked like I’d been caught eating berries or something. I’m slightly biased as I really don’t tend to like wearing darker colours on my lips so it wasn’t really for me, whereas someone else could try this gloss and love it. It just didn’t float my boat.

Colours are a personal choice, so don’t take my word for it based on those. However, if you don’t like heavy, sticky lip products, at £14 a tube, this may not be for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment